X-ray of proximal fractures of the fifth metatarsal
In radiology, proximal fractures of the fifth toe are most appropriately classified by their location:
- A proximal diaphysis fracture is typically a stress fracture, commonly among athletes.
- A metaphysis fracture or "Jones fracture"; Due to poor blood supply in this area, such a fracture sometimes does not heal and surgery is required.
- A tuberosity fracture or "pseudo-Jones fracture"/"dancer's fracture". It is typically an avulsion fracture.
Normal anatomy that may simulate a fracture include mainly:
- The "apophysis", which is the secondary ossification center of the bone, and is normally present at 10 - 16 years of age.
- Os vesalianum, an accessory bone which is present in between 0.1 - 1% of the population.
- Even absence of displacement
Proximal fifth metatarsal fracture at borderline between metaphysis (Jones fracture) and tuberosity (pseudo-Jones fracture). 1 mm displaced.
- See also: General notes on reporting
- X-ray of fractures in general
- For a full list of contributors, see article Radlines:Authorship for details. . Creators of images are attributed at the image description pages, seen by clicking on the images. See
- Bica D, Sprouse RA, Armen J (2016). "Diagnosis and Management of Common Foot Fractures. ". Am Fam Physician 93 (3): 183-91. PMID 26926612. Archived from the original. .
- . 5th Metatarsal. Emergency Care Institute, New South Wales (2017-09-19).
- . Toe and Forefoot Fractures. OrthoInfo - AAOS (June 2016). Archived from the original on 16 October 2017. Retrieved on 15 October 2017.
- Robert Silbergleit. Foot Fracture. Medscape.com. Retrieved on 19 October 2011.
- Robert Silbergleit. Foot Fracture. Medscape.com. Retrieved on October 19, 2011.
- Deniz, G.; Kose, O.; Guneri, B.; Duygun, F. (2014). "Traction apophysitis of the fifth metatarsal base in a child: Iselin's disease ". Case Reports 2014 (may14 4): bcr2014204687–bcr2014204687. doi:10.1136/bcr-2014-204687. ISSN 1757-790X.
- Nwawka, O. Kenechi; Hayashi, Daichi; Diaz, Luis E.; Goud, Ajay R.; Arndt, William F.; Roemer, Frank W.; Malguria, Nagina; Guermazi, Ali (2013). "Sesamoids and accessory ossicles of the foot: anatomical variability and related pathology ". Insights into Imaging 4 (5): 581–593. doi:10.1007/s13244-013-0277-1. ISSN 1869-4101.