Ultrasonography of pancreatitis
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Choice of modality
- Ultrasonography of pancreatitis is generally the first investigation of choice in suspected acute pancreatitis.
- CT of pancreatitis is indicated in:
- Suspected severe pancreatitis (such as persisting organ failure, signs of sepsis, or deterioration in clinical status 3-7 days after admission), in order to stage the severity, also in children.
- More uncertain diagnosis, such as acute abdominal pain where the clinic does not point towards the biliary system or pancreas, or a previous ultrasound not adequately visualizing the pancreas, also in children.
- Initial evaluation of suggested chronic pancreatitis.
- If a patient is treated for an acute pancreatitis of unknown cause without ultrasonograhy, it is appropriate to do an ultrasonography of gallstones, which can be done at a later time.
Presence of the following are diagnostic of acute pancreatitis in case of a fitting clinical setting:
- Hypoechogenic parenchyma
- Bulky size
Also look for:
- For a full list of contributors, see article Radlines:Authorship for details. . Creators of images are attributed at the image description pages, seen by clicking on the images. See
- Bhatt, Aastha; Tiparse, Awdhut; Patel, Arpita; Gandhi, Birwa (2017). "USG and CT scan evaluation of patients of acute and chronic pancreatitis- a cross-sectional, comparative study ". International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences 5 (8): 3713. doi:10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20173591. ISSN 2320-6012.
- Türkvatan, A.; Erden, A.; Türkoğlu, M.A.; Seçil, M.; Yener, Ö. (2015). "Imaging of acute pancreatitis and its complications. Part 1: Acute pancreatitis ". Diagnostic and Interventional Imaging 96 (2): 151–160. doi:10.1016/j.diii.2013.12.017. ISSN 22115684.
- Busireddy, Kiran K; AlObaidy, Mamdoh; Ramalho, Miguel; Kalubowila, Janaka; Baodong, Liu; Santagostino, Ilaria; Semelka, Richard C (2014). "Pancreatitis-imaging approach ". World Journal of Gastrointestinal Pathophysiology 5 (3): 252. doi:10.4291/wjgp.v5.i3.252. ISSN 2150-5330.
- Rogers, P.; Adlan, T.; Page, G. (2014). "Non-invasive imaging in pancreatitis ". BMJ 349 (aug28 1): g5223–g5223. doi:10.1136/bmj.g5223. ISSN 1756-1833.
- Restrepo, Ricardo; Hagerott, Heidi E.; Kulkarni, Sakil; Yasrebi, Mona; Lee, Edward Y. (2016). "Acute Pancreatitis in Pediatric Patients: Demographics, Etiology, and Diagnostic Imaging ". American Journal of Roentgenology 206 (3): 632–644. doi:10.2214/AJR.14.14223. ISSN 0361-803X.
- Ali Nawaz Khan (2019-01-24). Chronic Pancreatitis Imaging. Medscape.
- Dr. Dileep Kumar Jha, , Dr. Mahesh Vadel, Dr. Rahul Sharma (2013). "Role of Ultrasonography and Computed Tomography in Diagnosis of Pancreatitis ". International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) 5 (8). Archived from the original. .