Ultrasonography of gallstones
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Choice of modality
- Ultrasonography of gallstones is the investigation of choice. In suspected cholecystitis such as severe and constant pain, see Ultrasonography of cholecystitis.
- Within a couple of hours if any of the following:
- Otherwise, generally 4-8 weeks in Swedish practice.
- Gallbladder: Gallstones are seen as hyperechoic objects, that leave an acoustic shadow. In case of similarity to a polyp (Ultrasonography of gallbladder polyps), turn the patient, making gallstones changing position, while polyps remain in the same place.
- Related structures: Also exclude signs of cholecystitis, mainly pericholecystic fluid, edematous pericholecystic fat, gallbladder wall thickening, dilation of the bile duct (see below), and a sonographic Murphy's sign. Further information: Ultrasonography of cholecystitis.
- Other: It is also proper practice to perform a general upper abdominal screening.
- For a full list of contributors, see article Radlines:Authorship for details. . Creators of images are attributed at the image description pages, seen by clicking on the images. See
- NU Hospital Group, Sweden
- Yunfu Lv, Wan Yee Lau, Haiying Wu, Shunwu Chang, NingLiu, Yejuan Li, Jie Deng (2015). "Etiological Causes of Intrahepatic and Extrahepatic Bile Duct Dilatation ". International Journal of New Technology and Research (IJNTR) 1 (8). Archived from the original. .